The following is a list of celestial events occuring in the month of December 2009.
- Dec 7 - Earliest sunset of 2009 for mid latitudes.
- Dec 14 - Geminid meteor shower peaks (100 meteors per hour) at 05:00 UTC. Check out my article on Universe Today for tips on viewing the Geminid meteor shower.
- Dec 21 - Double Galilean shadow transit (Callisto and Io) begins at 01:34 UTC. The winter solstice also occurs today.
- Dec 22 - Ursid meteor shower peak (only 10 meteors per hour).
- Dec 29 - Moon-M45 conjunction occurs at 01:00 UTC.
- Dec 31 - Moon-M35 conjunction occurs at 06:00 UTC. Also, a partial lunar eclipse will be visible in the Eastern Hemisphere from 18:52 to 19:54 UTC.